Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Apple Spice Coffee Cake




This is from the Williams Sonoma cookbook Muffins.  It is a really great cookbook, and I highly recommend it.  This also happens to be a great cake, that I also highly recommend.  Unfortunately I cooked it 10 minutes longer than the recipe said to and it was still gooey in the center.  That didn't stop me from eating about half of it, but still, it would have been a bit better fully cooked through. The problem was all the apple (not that it was a problem for the taste, just for the cooking).  There are 4 apples chopped up in the batter which is absolutely delicious, but it is makes it hard to use a toothpick to see if the cake is cooked, because it comes out with apple on it but not batter or crumbs.  

The cookbook suggests making a glaze with heated condensed milk, but I didn't want to open whole can to use a few tablespoons, so I made my own vanilla glaze.  I used powdered sugar, mixed with a few drops of vanilla extract.  I added water a little bit at a time until it was smooth and spreadable (but not too runny).  I spread it on when the cake was still warm, so it got nice and smooth and shine-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment