Thursday, March 22, 2012

Kahlua Bonbons


We had to come up with our own bonbon recipe. I was going to do earl grey tea, orange zest, and dark chocolate. Then it hit me that my aunt was coming to visit and that she loves Kahlua and cream (in fact it's the only drink I've ever seen her order...although I really haven't seen her order many drinks at all, so maybe it's just that.) So I decided to make a Kahlua and dark chocolate bonbon instead. It isn't that hard; just add Kahlua to the chocolate ganache filling (making sure to reduce the amount of cream accordingly) and make the bonbons as usual.

I decided to color the bonbons with cocoa butter based food coloring rather than luster dust (what I used for the saffron-honey bonbons). I'm not sure why, but I had some trouble with it sticking to the mold rather than the chocolate. Perhaps I heated it too much an threw it out of temper. Ah well, I still had some that looked very nice with a touch of red (I picked red because it matched the Kahlua label and I don't like yellow as much) and some plain ones that looked very nice too. More importantly, they tasted very nice as well and my aunt liked them!


No comments:

Post a Comment