Sunday, February 2, 2014

Football Cookies (and some simple things to do with royal icing)


In honor of the Super Bowl, I whipped up some football cookies. They are made from chocolate sablée dough. Pâte sablée dough is a French sugar cookie dough that makes wonderfully tender cut out cookies as the high fat and sugar content inhibits gluten development even when you roll and reroll the dough. To chocolate the dough up I added some cocoa powder and a drop of brown gel food coloring.


The football shape is remarkably easy to make with out a special cutter. All you need is a round cutter (I used a biscuit cutter but a proper cookie cutter would obviously work.) Cut a round (any size you want), then use the same cutter to truncate the round, rather like you are making a Venn diagram with a very large central overlap. That's it. A football shape without investing in a football cutter.


After I baked them, I made a batch of royal icing for piping on the laces. I used a number 4 piping tip to pipe a line across the center of the cookie. Then I piped 3 lines across that central line. And there you have laces. You also probably have a lot of piping consistency royal icing left. Store it according to your recipe and you have a good excuse to make pretty cookies again in a few days. Or do what I did and pipe it in pretty shape on parchment to dry, store, and use as decorations at a later point. (Mine happened to be lacy hearts that I'll use as cupcake toppers.)


I won't actually be watching the Super Bowl. But that won't stop me from celebrating with cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment