Sunday, August 2, 2015

Savory Inspired Plated Dessert


The basil and candied pine nut ice cream was very good, but as with any ice cream it is better as an accompaniment to dessert. In this case I used white cake I'd had in the freezer (I toasted it slightly to refresh it) and just a drizzle of really good extra virgin olive oil. If I'd been planning this I'd have made Thomas Keller's madeline cake (I really must post about that, it is delicious) and some sort of citrus olive sauce, probably thickened with xanthan gum. Still, it was a delicious dessert--and not just for something thrown together on a whim.

I call this savory inspired because of the basil and pine nuts in the ice cream, the basil sprit as garnish, and the olive oil as sauce. But in no way is this savory in flavor--just hints of savory underlying the more traditional sweetness of dessert.


This is the same dessert but I decide to toss on some cacao nibs. The crunch was nice and the bitter chocolate flavor did go nicely with the sweet cake and ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment