Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Brownies--a serving suggestion

So you made brownies but you want them to look special. Brownie squares are delicious and a classic, but they are a little boring. Why not make brownie circles? All you need is a biscuit cutter. Just try to space them a close together as possible so you get a bunch of them. The exact same brownie but a slightly classier look that makes them appropriate to serve at, for example, dinner parties. They also make a nice gift stacked and wrapped in cellophane.

Obviously you'll have brownie scraps left over. If you don't end up eating them right out of the pan, I recommend putting them in a ziploc and shove them in your freezer. That way when you really want something chocolate but all you have for dessert is a pint of vanilla frozen yogurt, you now have a pint of vanilla frozen yogurt with brownie crumble topping! Yum!



2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I recently found your blog and love it! But I was wondering if you could give me a review of your time at the ICC and if/how you feel like it has prepared you for life as a pastry chef! I'm interested in attending (I've already been accepted), but I wanted to do a little research first! I'm a real person, too, not someone trying to do a mean-spirited review of the school. I'm Anna and I work for VooDoo Doughnut and Best Friends for Frosting (the dessert blog). You can email me @ anna.bressi@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,

    Congratulations on being accepted! I loved the ICC. There are certainly pros and cons to investing a rather large sum of money in a degree in pastry arts. But if you want to invest in culinary school, I'd say the ICC is the way to go!

    You learn so much in the 6 or 9 months, however you will not learn everything. The chefs are the first ones to say that you get out knowing very little. That said, as little as you know, you are much better prepared to learn what you will need to know and you really will have a good base of knowledge. The course really does prepare you to work in a restaurant, bakery, or anything else.

    On another note, I have been out for a few months now and I miss it! I had excellent instructors, great classmates, and a chance to have fun in a kitchen 3 nights a week making things I wouldn't ordinarily make (like sugar showpieces and bonbons and charlottes royals).

    If you have any specific (or even general) questions, I'm more than happy to answer them!

    Good luck!
    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete