Thursday, October 20, 2011

Puff Pastry Exam


This went pretty well! I finished early and nothing came out terribly wrong, so I'm happy. Yes, my pithiviers wasn't quite as nice looking as it could be and my palmiers came out a little funky (according to the chef it's because I allowed the butter to melt when I was turning the dough, so it sort-of fried the palmiers in the oven. But still, I was very happy with everything, especially my vol au vents, which came out pretty much perfect! 

I'm happy to be done with this unit. I've really enjoyed some of what we've made, but it's been getting a little bit same-y. Plus we are going to be doing viennoiserie--breakfast pastries--yum!

2 comments:

  1. I have made butterhorns with an Italian baker in San Francisco. Yum.. my fav but ohhhh the work!
    Do you have a good recipe?
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those are made with yeast dough (like danish or croissant dough) not plain puff pastry (which is similar but without the yeast). I don't have a recipe for them, I'll keep a look out though.

    ReplyDelete