Saturday, November 13, 2010

Brown Sugar Pound Cake

This is from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.  It is not a traditional pound cake, both in that it is made with brown sugar rather than white sugar and in that it is not made with a pound of each of the 4 ingredients.  Traditionally a pound cake (or quatre-quart) is made with a pound each of butter, sugar, eggs and flour, often with baking powder and vanilla extract added.  This was made with much less butter and fewer eggs and some buttermilk for extra fat and liquid.

Interestingly, the batter resembled muffin batter, I'll have to see if the taste and texture are muffin-like as well.  I'll see this later tonight or tomorrow, but the cakes (it makes two pound cakes) are still in the oven and I'm tired so I may wait till tomorrow.  Even if I do have a taste tonight, I will certainly not blog about it until tomorrow...sorry!

1 comment:

  1. This was delicious. It is perfect plain. It is also incredible with a bit of jam and a cup of tea. The texture and the taste are just right. I am glad one cake is leaving the house tomorrow. It is very hard to resist!

    Mercedes' Mommy

    ReplyDelete