Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chocolate Coffee Cake, Take 2

On Monday I posted a Chocolate Coffee Cake I made ages ago because I was planning on trying out a new coffee cake recipe.  Well, then I got to thinking that I really did want chocolate and I loved the chocolate coffee cake...so I made the chocolate coffee cake again.  But with some major changes.

Ok, maybe 'major' isn't the right word, but they were significant.  I substituted fat free Greek yogurt for the full fat sour cream the recipe calls for.  I did this for 2 reasons.  First, I didn't have sour cream and I didn't feel like going to buy some.  Second, and more importantly, I really wanted to reduce the fat content of the cake and this seemed like the best way to do it.  I don't like fat free sour cream...it just doesn't resemble sour cream in either texture or taste, so I refuse to use it.  I could have used plain fat free yogurt (which I believe is a common substitution for sour cream) but it has such a runny texture and not enough tangyness, in my opinion.  So I used fat free plain Greek yogurt, which has a similar texture to sour cream and it's tangy.  It worked really well, if I do say so myself!  The cake was slightly drier, but not too dry by any means.  Other than that, I really couldn't taste a difference.  (Granted it's been a really long time since I had the normal, sour cream version, so there could have been more of a difference and I just don't know because I don't remember it well enough.)

The other change I made was to leave out the chocolate chips from the topping.  That wasn't because I don't love the chocolate chips, but I figured it'd help with the reducing the fat goal.  I did make 50% extra crumble to replace the chocolate chips and because I love the crumble.

Overall really good! (And all the people I fed this to agree!)  I think I shall have to try this again but substitute egg whites for the whole eggs the recipe calls for.  

P.S. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment