Sunday, November 7, 2010

Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins

    

Ages ago I promised I'd make a nectarine version of Martha Stewart's Plum Coffee Cake Muffins.  Well I didn't.  But I did decide to make a strawberry version.  They were good!

I think I like the plum version slightly more, because the plums were more flavorful (though that might be a reflection on the quality of the strawberries more than on the quality of the muffins.)  But I still loved them.  They are moist and tasty and every so slightly crispy on top (from the cinnamon sugar topping).  The fruit doesn't make them soggy and doesn't sink all the way to the bottom, which is excellent.  The trick to the former is to dry off the fruit after you cut it.  The latter is achieved by spooning batter into the muffin cup to fill it about half way, putting the fruit in, then topping it with more batter (rather than folding the fruit into the batter before you scoop it into the muffin cups.)  I do think I filled them a little too high before I put in the fruit, but I didn't mind because I really like the fruit-less parts!  I think I will have to try these again with better strawberries and perhaps some mini chocolate chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment