Friday, September 17, 2010

Plum Coffee Cake Muffins

 

These were really incredible muffins from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.  I actually made them at the end of last school year.  I know, I know, I had the blog then, I should have posted them in May when I made them, but I didn't.  Sorry.

I'm posting them today for two reasons.  First, I just couldn't bake today since Yom Kippur started at sundown and I really couldn't have fresh baked goods in the house while I fasted.  Second, I'm pretty sure I'm going to bake a nectarine version of them after I break the fast tomorrow night.  We'll see about that though...I need to use up the nectarines and it does sound nice, but I may need chocolate...

Anyway, as I said, these were really incredible muffins.  They had a dense, moist, coffee cake-y texture.  They tasted wonderful as well, though I don't think I can describe it very well, it has been quite some time since I ate them.  The cinnamon sugar on top was very nice; it tasted good and added a slight crispness to the top.  Yum!

I was very impressed with the muffin to fruit ratio, as well as how well distributed the chunks of plum remained.  The trick, according to Martha, is to fill the muffin cup half way, put the plums on, and then top them with the rest of the dough.  I'm not sure if that is the only way of achieving the effect, but it sure is a good way.

I'll leave you with what my professor said about these muffins, "you get an A+ in baking."  Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment