Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies

  

These are so named because I flavored my favorite chocolate brownies (the Roland Mesnier ones) with the same spices that are used to flavor Mexican hot chocolate.  They are very good!  I really like spicing things up (no pun intended) by adding different flavors to recipes I use frequently.  It's fun for me to experiment and it makes a nice change from the usual.

The Mesnier brownies I used are cocoa-y and not too sweet, so I thought it would be a perfect recipe to use as a base to make these.  I really did only use the recipe as a starting point and altered it quite a bit.  I left out the nuts, chocolate chips, and ganache topping.  I added cinnamon, chili powder, cardamom and nutmeg to get the Mexican hot chocolate flavor.  I'm still working out the exact amounts of spice (I think it was a little too much cinnamon and not quite enough chili powder), but once I finalize them, I'll post them.


I made these Mexican hot chocolate brownies the same night I made the flourless chocolate brownies that were meant to go to my class.  These went instead.  From the look of things, a few people didn't like them (probably the spice was too much) but many people liked them (judging by the fact that they took seconds and then told me how much they liked them).  My family and friends liked them as well, but they always like what I bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment