Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chocolate Bread Pudding

  

Wow this is good!  It is from Ghirardelli's cookbook.  I usually don't like cookbooks put out by brands, but I have to say this is a great one.  I've liked everything I've made from it (I don't believe I've posted anything else from it because I baked it before I started this blog...but I'll post them at some point).

Anyway, this was really good and very simple to make.  It just involves making a chocolate, egg and milk mixture and soaking bread (I used a baguette) in it until the liquid is mainly soaked up.  Transfer it to a large baking dish and bake.  That's it.  Very easy.  And very, very yummy.  It gets nice and gooey (but not too runny) and just a little chewy on the inside with a nice crispy crust on top, which is just how bread pudding should be (in my opinion).  This recipe calls for raisins and chocolate chips to be mixed in with the bread when you add it to the liquid.  I know raisins are traditionally put in bread pudding, however I've never been a fan.  So I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins.  It was such an improvement in my book.  The cranberries hold up to the soaking and the heat much better than raisins so they don't get that puffy, soft texture that raisins get in baked goods.  Plus, I really like combination of cranberries and chocolate.  Oh and by the way, the chocolate chips mixed in are excellent.  They get all melty and make everything that much more chocolate-y!

I will warn you, it is a little dangerous: my mom and I ate almost the entire 9x13in pan of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment