Thursday, September 9, 2010

Coconut Macaroons

If you've seen Julie and Julia you may remember the part towards the beginning when Julie says (and I'm paraphrasing quite a bit) that it is so comforting to her that no matter how bad your day has been you can go home and make a chocolate cream pie and know that when you add this to that it will thicken, every time.  I get that feeling.  I had a blah day.  Not a bad one, but it was my last first day of classes (I started my senior year), and it just felt, well, blah.  As my mom said, I seem ennui.

So I came home and made coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate and everything seemed so much better.  Macaroons are very simple to make.  All you do is mix together coconut, egg whites, sugar and vanilla, form the sticky mixture into little mounds and bake until golden.  (By the way, the recipe came by way of Martha Stewart's Cookies.)  It isn't hard, but it is fun and very satisfying.  I did want to do a little more than just that, so I melted some bittersweet chocolate and dipped the bottoms of the macaroons in it and then drizzled some of the leftover chocolate on top.  They look very nice!  You'll have to take my word on that for now, because it is late and I don't feel like taking a picture, downloading and then uploading my photo right now.  I'll post it tomorrow (or I guess that would really be later today).  I'll also let you know how they taste...you see the chocolate has to harden and, mainly because it is so late, I'm exercising remarkable self restraint and not eating one tonight.  If they taste half as good as they look they'll be good, so I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment