Sunday, September 5, 2010

Battle Fig, con't

Here are the last two courses of Battle Fig:

Third Course: Chocolate-Fig Crostini with Blue Goat Cheese.
I cut thin brown bread into rounds (I might have used baguette, but I was trying to be healthy) and toasted it in the oven.  Once it was nice and crisp I spread a thin layer of the chocolate-fig spread on it, topped that with a small piece of amazing blue goat cheese, and finally put a half of a small and really delicious dried fig on top.  This was more savory than sweet, by the way.  Whatever you want to call it, wow they were good!


Fourth Course: Baked Figs with Greek Frozen Yogurt.
I made these baked figs based loosely on a recipe from Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer.  I quartered the figs, but didn't cut them all the way through.  Then I put each fig in one of the indentations in a muffin tin.  I filled each with about half way up with a sugar water mixture (of water, sugar, orange zest and lots of cinnamon) and put them under the broiler for about 4 minutes (it probably should have been less, but my broiler runs very cool).  I topped each fig with a very small ball of my greek frozen yogurt (I give the recipe here).  I would have topped that with slivered pistachios but I didn't have any and perhaps a drizzle of honey, but I figured that was unnecessary when this had been such a healthy meal.  It really didn't feel like it was missing something without that anyway, because it was still darn yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment