Sunday, September 19, 2010

Breakfast Pastries

  

Last night, when I was leaving Cafe Fiorello they gave me a brown bag of breakfast pastries.  Apparently they had had too many at breakfast and didn't want them to go to waste.  So guess what I had for breakfast this morning?

The goodie bag contained chocolate chip muffins, sticky buns, and what I'm pretty sure was banana nut bread.  The chocolate chip muffins were very nice, but not quite as good as mine (if I do say so myself).  I haven't made mine since I started this blog, so I'll have to make them soon and post them.  The major downside for me was that they didn't have enough chocolate.  Plus I do think the crumb was a little too fine and dry.  The problem could have been that they were a day old, but if I remember correctly mine didn't get stale that quickly.

The sticky buns were definitely stale, but still amazing.  They appeared to be made from croissant dough rolled into a palmier shape.  Then it was coated in some sweet sticky glaze.  It was not gooey, sticky and dense like a normal sticky bun and I don't think it was ever meant to be.  I think that is a good thing by the way, as I'm not a huge fan of traditional sticky buns.  The reason I say it was stale is that the texture was clearly that of a stale croissant rather than of a fresh one; in other words it was somewhat crisp rather than moist and tender.  But that really didn't make it bad, just different.

The banana nut bread was surprisingly good.  I say 'surprisingly' because I don't really like bananas.  The reason this was so good is that it wasn't very banana-y at all.  I think it may have been banana and something else, perhaps pumpkin (which would account for the color and the richness of the flavor).  Though I really could be wrong, I don't really know banana well enough to say for certain that it wasn't just banana and spices that made it such a nice flavor.  It contained large amounts of walnuts, always a plus.  It also had golden raisins dotted throughout, which I think was a very nice touch.

This really was an amazing treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment