Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Waffles with Chocolate Chips and Strawberries

 

Ok, I admit it, this isn't really baking.  But you see it was my first day back to classes, so I was too tired to bake but I was in the mood for sweets and chocolate.  So, I made waffles (from Stonewall Kitchen plain pancake mix) and topped each layer with bittersweet chocolate chips and slices of strawberries.  What is great about this, is the chocolate chips melt from the heat of the waffles...that way, I don't need syrup (I do sometimes use it anyway, but not tonight...because I was out).  The mix by the way is a little pricy (as pancake mixes go) but it is well worth it.  The waffles are sweet and fluffy but still crisp on the outside.  Some of the crispness may be a tribute to my lovely heart shaped waffle maker, which is very good.

By the way, whatever mix I use, I use only egg whites instead of whole eggs.  And I usually substitute olive oil for vegetable oil; if I don't it's because I've left out the oil all together.  I find this makes the pancakes (or in this case, waffles) fluffier.

No comments:

Post a Comment