Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ice Cream Bombe

A slice, so you can see all the layers (which are, from top to bottom: raspberry sorbet, lemon sorbet, strawberry sorbet, chocolate ice cream, raspberry swirl ice cream.) 

This was really good, but I do think I can do better.  I knew the technique, but I didn't have a recipe so I winged it.  I think I made it too many thin layers, I should have done fewer thicker ones.  This is more an aesthetic choice than a taste one, but I do think it might be nice with fewer flavors.  Also, the center two layers didn't quite work flavor-wise.  You see I was trying to make it a sorbet bombe, but I ran out so I used ice cream for the last two layers.  It still tasted good (one might even say great), but it didn't look as nice and it was a little odd having the contrast of the very different flavors and texture in the center.  In future I'll have make this again keeping in mind the lessons I learnt this time around.  Maybe I'll even use homemade ice cream...eh, probably not...it seems like far too much work to make three or four types of ice cream (and probably double batches for the outer layer or two).  Either way, I'm sure it'll be excellent.

The outside of the bombe.  Doesn't it look snazzy?!

No comments:

Post a Comment