Thursday, September 16, 2010

More Chocolate Shortbread


Here are the other chocolate shortbread cookies that I promised when I posted my much more recent attempt at chocolate shortbread.

These were really good cookies, not great shortbread.  The problem with them may have been my oven which was malfunctioning when I made these and running 50 degrees cool. (Well maybe not 50, but it has been running quite cool). While this wasn't bothering me too much making most cakes and cookies, I could just increase the time and fiddle with the oven temp a bit, it was not good here.  You see shortbread needs to be sufficiently dried out which means they need a higher heat than my oven was capable of (note: not a high heat, just higher than it could do) if they are to be dried throughout without getting burnt.  Another objection I had (and this was the recipe’s fault) is the cookies were far too thin in my opinion.  I prefer a thickish shortbread cookie.  Also, I do like shortbread with sugar topping on it, but that really isn't what makes shortbread shortbread (and the lack of it is not what made these not shortbread.)  But all that said, they were still great as cookies.  They were buttery and coco-y (not terribly chocolate-y though, which isn’t a complaint, just a clarification).  The texture was still crumbly around the edges, but the center was a little soft still (could have been my oven, could have been the recipe...hard to tell!), which was really nice even if it did disqualify them from being shortbread in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment