Sunday, March 30, 2014

Chocolate Olive Oil Cake


I love olive oil cakes. Using oil, rather than butter, as the primary fat makes them remarkably light and, depending on the oil, smooth. Chiffon cakes are a good example; they use vegetable oil as the fat and, as a result, are light and silky as chiffon. I generally prefer olive oil to vegetable oil as it is healthier and I like the flavor more. But of course it is the flavor of olive oil that makes it hard to use in cakes--often you don't want to taste the fat and vegetable oil is virtually flavorless. Still there are times when the flavor from olive oil is just what you want. The olive oil cakes we made at school (and at the restaurant) are an example. But I like chocolate and none of these olive oil cakes I've learnt to make are chocolate cakes. Happily Nigella Lawson's new Italian-themed cookbook has a recipe for a chocolate olive oil cake!

She gives two variations of the recipe, a normal version and a gluten-free version. As Passover is approaching (and the cousin's eat gluten-free all year, so I can't substitute matzo meal in my cakes as many Passover friendly recipes suggest) I figured I'd check this out. Since it isn't Passover right now, however, I figured I'd try it with flour, knowing that I'll have the flourless option for Passover.

It was a good plan! The cake was delicious! I have to say, I'm a bit hesitant to try the almond-based, flourless version. This was beautifully light and I'm sure the almonds will weigh it down. Plus they will obviously change the flavor, which, as it is, is delicate and cocoa-y with a very subtle olive oil undertone. That said, I'm sure it will be good gluten-free, but it will be a completely different cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment