Saturday, March 8, 2014

Glazed Pumpkin Scones


I'm sure I've mentioned these before. They are Alice's Tea Cup's famous pumpkin scones. I've made them before and they didn't work quite right. This time around I paid more attention. They add absurd amounts of spices. I'm sure they taste delicious with a 1/4 cup of each type of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, if I remember correctly), but that quantity of spices costs a lot of money. The first time I cut down the spices and the dough was far too moist. This time I used about 1/8 cup of each spice and topped each up with 1/8 cup flour (so there was still the same amout of dry ingredients). I also added about 1/8 cup extra flour since it was a damp day. That was about right and the dough was usable, though still on the wet and sticky side. It was a bit of a pain to work with, but the scones rose and cracked perfectly (they look just like the ones at Alice's) so I wouldn't add any more flour.


Last time I made these I left off the glaze. This time I had some apple caramel glaze from another recipe left in the fridge. So I used that. It worked perfectly! I'll have to try the Alice's glaze next time, but I can't imagine I'll be terribly different...my caramel sauce/glaze had a tad bit of apple juice in it but other than that the recipes were nearly identical.


I served them, freshly glazed, with raspberry jam and clotted cream. The next day I served them with fresh strawberries and (a la Alice's) whipped cream---the glaze soaked in a bit more than I'd have liked, but I think it's because my apple caramel glaze was a bit thinner than the one Alice's recommends. Both ways are delicious, although I do prefer the traditional jam and clotted cream. Either way, I believe I bemoaned this recipe in the past (I was upset that the scones weren't as good as the ones at the restaurant) but I was wrong; with the adjustments I made to the spices/flour (and with the glaze) these were just as good as the scones at Alice's!

No comments:

Post a Comment