Monday, March 22, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

  

The day I brought the Thumbprint Cookies into my class, one of my classmates brought in amazing cinnamon and sugar coated mini(ish) muffins from a local bakery.  They were so good that I ate two.  I had to figure out how to make them.  Turns out that my Williams-Sonoma Muffins cookbook has a recipe for cinnamon muffins topped with cinnamon sugar.  I made them, and I think they turned out just as yummy!  (Although the coating to muffin ratio wasn't quite as good...the ones from the bakery were fully coated in cinnamon sugar and these were only topped with it.  Next time I'll make them mini muffin size and roll them in the sugar.)

Basically these are a heavy, cinnamon and nutmeg flavored, buttermilk and baking soda leavened dough.  It is almost a doughnut dough, but the taste of the final product differs from doughnuts quick significantly, since it is baked instead of fried.  The key is, once they are cool, dip the top of the muffin in melted butter, then in a cinnamon sugar mixture.  This makes the top beautiful and sparkly and really tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment