Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Blackberry Muffins

These are pretty straight forward. They a a simple recipe from Williams-Sonoma's Muffins cookbook that produces the expected delicious result. They are a moist (but not damp) muffin with a tender crumb. The blackberries I used were tart, but not overly so and balanced the sweetness of the muffin nicely. My only complaint is that the streusel on top was a bit on the light side, I'd add extra next time. Nothing terribly exciting here, but generally I think muffins (especially fruit ones) shouldn't be too exciting; if you make them flashy they cease to be the simple, homey, comfort food I think of them to be. That said, you don't want to be stuck in the doldrums either. Happily, the muffin, which was relatively plain and could have been a bit blah, was spruced up by the sizable pieces of fresh blackberries--in contrast to the usual small dots of blueberries--which certainly kept the muffins from being boring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment