Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lemon Yogurt Loaf Cakes

The finished mini loaves
This quick bread is made with yogurt instead of butter. This is nice for three reasons: 1, it does reduce the fat and cholesterol in the cake (probably not a lot, but every little bit helps); 2, it make the recipe really easy to execute--no need to cream the butter or melt it and let it cool; and 3, it give the loaf a nice tang, which complemented the tart zing of the lemon. Happily, the yogurt did not make the cakes tough, which I find can happen. In fact the texture was quite nice, tender, springy, and light. They were quite lemony with a subtle tang from the yogurt (as I already mentioned). When the came out of the oven, I soaked them with a bit of lemon simple syrup, which added to the flavor and made the cakes moist and delicious.

What made these extra special was the glaze on top. It's just a simple lemon juice and powdered sugar icing/glaze and it was delicious! Tart but still sweet. It set up nicely but still melted in your mouth. Anyway, who doesn't like a good glaze?

Overall, I thought these were excellent. That said, I really love lemon loaf cakes, this is not the first recipe I've tried and it won't be the last. But I'm sure during the process of trying every recipe I can find, I'll circle around to this one a few times.

Before the glaze set

No comments:

Post a Comment