Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Banana Nut Bread


In case I haven't mentioned this before, I have a strong dislike for bananas. Seriously, I can't stand them--the taste, the smell, the texture, yuk! Generally I can't even eat bananas when the come in the lovely form of banana bread--and even if I can tolerate it, I don't really like it. This was an exception; I actually found it enjoyable. The rest of my family, who are normal and like bananas, were even more enthusiastic than I was--Pops ate two and a half mini loaves himself (impressive since we only kept 4)!

I think what makes this banana bread so good is that it is chock full of toasted walnuts and unsweetened coconut. This didn't mask the banana flavor, but it does make the whole flavor of the bread more complex. Usually banana bread is quite sweet and dense. This was a bit less sweet (which was nice) and a bit lighter while still being moist (which was also nice). Plus I used ripe but not over ripe bananas--not by design, just because I was making these for a specific purpose (I wanted to give two mini loaves to two people I was meeting with) and the bananas weren't over ripe yet. These really were good--so good that I may need to rethink my position on bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment