Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lemon Curd Cake


Remember the lemon chiffon cake with lemon curd filling? This was inspired by that cake. I made the same lemon curd filling (and I finally found sheet gelatin so it made life much easier). Instead of lemon chiffon cake, I made the same white cake I used for my wedding cake project. It's such a nice cake and I wanted to see how it came out when baked in cake pans rather than sheet pans (for a project I'm working in...I'll tell you about that soon). The frosting is left over cream cheese frosting from my party (it was on the cupcakes). I think the tang of the cream cheese complemented the lemon curd nicely while the sweetness of the cake balances it out nicely.

For the outside of the cake, I decided to try my hand at that lovely swirl that Baked Brooklyn does so nicely (if you don't know them, check them out). I ordered a cake turntable (finally) but it hasn't come yet so this wasn't easy. The way to get a smooth even swirl up the side and on the top is to hold the spatula nearly still, pulling it up slowly as you turn the cake smoothly on the turntable. At least I think that's how to do it...since I don't have a turntable it's really just an educated guess. As it was I did about the same thing, except I manually turned the cake stand, which is not conducive to anything being smooth and even. But that's okay, because I think it still looks really nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment