Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Grapefruit, Golden Beet, and Avocado Sandwich

Look at the beautiful colors of the ingredients on this sandwich!
If that strikes you as an odd combination, you aren't alone. Quite a while ago I found the 'wichcraft cookbook on sale. I wouldn't ordinarily spring for a sandwich cookbook, but I like 'wichcraft (especially their ice cream sandwiches!) and it was a good bargain. I finally got around to using it and it's excellent!
I have a lovely organic green grocer near me so I decided to go for a vegetarian sandwich and I wanted something cold since we were eating it with a bowl of mom's tomato soup.
With all that in mind, I picked this sandwich. It is a remarkably hearty sandwich of sliced avocado, segments of grapefruit, sprouts, and julienned, raw, golden beets tossed in a light vinaigrette on some bread. That's it. The smooth avocado, the crunchy beets, and the juicy grapefruit worked so well together. The flavors all meshed and I was really surprised how nice the raw beets were--I've never eaten uncooked beets before. 
The combination was unique and the sandwiches were delicious. I can't wait to try more sandwiches from the cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment