Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fresh Currant Scones, take 2


After my success with my fresh currant scone recipe I decided to try a new scone recipe that calls for fresh fruit. It is one of the few recipes from the FCI's pastry cookbook that we didn't learn in class, so I've been wanting to try it out. I used fresh currants in them although the recipe doesn't specifically call for them.




They were delicious! Very different from mine. These were almost savory and biscuit-like rather than sweet and scone-like. That's not to say they weren't good. They were just different...good different. I think my favorite part was the nice crisp crust they get from the sugar topping you sprinkle on before they get baked--and the sweetness of that topping contrasted with the baking soda-y scone and tart berries. These really were very nice and I'll definitely try them again at some point (possibly with different fruit...just for fun!)


By the way, I tired a few quasi-artsy shots of the scones. I'm not sure what I think about them, but I'd appreciate some input if anyone has any opinions...

No comments:

Post a Comment