Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Desserts (Number Two)


I also made an excellent trifle because, well, I always make a trifle for Thanksgiving. This year I made a chocolate, chestnut, tiramisu trifle. Let me say that again: chocolate, chestnut, tiramisu trifle. Or as my mom called it, a trifle-misu. It was so good, it was ridiculous. It's layers of chocolate-chestnut mousse, Marsala mascarpone sabayon, and lady fingers soaked with espresso and amaretto and dusted with cocoa powder. The latter two layers are, basically, tiramisu. But with extra mascarpone to thicken up the sabayon and, of course, the chocolate-chestnut mousse between the layers. Also the layer of whipped cream and dusting of cocoa looks like a tiramisu but is more trifle like in flavor.


I like the soaked lady fingers in place of the pound cake and the sabayon instead of custard made the trifle surprisingly light. And the great thing is it gets better with age. Even big eaters like us could only have so much of it in one sitting, so we were able to let it age.

No comments:

Post a Comment