Friday, December 5, 2014

Thanksgiving Desserts (Number Three)


Alright, this is really just dessert number one--the apple crumble pie--again. But this time I decided it really needed ice cream. And not just any ice cream: homemade bourbon pecan ice cream!


I mean the dessert on its own was very nice, but it was boring and I didn't think adding plain, boring, vanilla ice cream would make it more interesting. Anyway, the bourbon pecan ice cream was simple enough to make. I just whipped up a plain custard ice cream base and spiked it with bourbon. It turns out I added a bit too much so it didn't harden as much as I'd have liked...but then again, it tasted incredible. To make the pecans, I made some dry caramel and tossed in toasted pecans. The cold pecans make the sugar crystallize and you end up with delicious candied pecans (and your kitchen will smell like a nuts for nuts cart--if you're from NYC you know what I'm talking about.) Once the ice cream was basically frozen I tossed the nuts in the ice cream maker (I was trying out a fancy compressor unit, so it told me when to add the nuts, but generally it's just when the ice cream looks about soft serve consistency). The ice cream melted/dissolved the sugar around the pecans a bit after it sat in the freezer for a while but that was nice, because it left nice caramel swirls in the ice cream. With the apple pie it was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment