Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Strudel

Sorry, I completely forgot to take a photo of the whole
strudel, but you get the picture! This is the apple strudel,
by the way.
Today we made strudel! It's not an easy dough to make, but it's really amazing. You start with a simple dough that forms a ball roughly the size of a softball (I think, sports analogies aren't really my thing) and you stretch it on a pristine white tablecloth until it is ridiculously thin and about three feet by three feet. It's amazing! We made three baked strudels: apple, grape, and cherry. My favorite was the apple, but the cherry was really nice. We also made steamed semolina strudels. Those weren't very good. Although when we experimented and sauteed a few of them, they were actually quite nice.

We called these plated desserts, but didn't end up officially plating any. I think they would be really excellent with vanilla ice cream or perhaps a caramel swirl ice cream (for the apple strudel). They were great on their own though, so I don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment