Thursday, May 17, 2012

Menu Project, The Assignment

Yesterday I started review in class by making a bunch of different doughs. We'll shape the dough in three classes, after the menu project. Now, I think, is a good time to explain the menu project. Basically we have to come up with a concept for a restaurant/bakery/dessert bar/etc. Complete with a brief business plan that includes a clearly defined concept, location (which must be in the tri-state area), the name of your place, and any other details you can think of (decor, colors, hours...) Additionally, you must design a menu with eight desserts (not including ice cream or petit four assortments or a cheese plate). The menu must use seasonal ingredients and reflect the general theme of the restaurant (obviously). The chefs order two desserts off your menu and, a few classes later, you must make and plate them.

For me, the menu and restaurant plan was challenging but right up my ally. I'm used to written work and presenting reports in an aesthetically pleasing manner. What worried me was developing recipes for the menu items that worked and making sure each component of each dessert tasted (and looked) good together. It took many a test recipe and even more tweaking to come up with desserts that worked, were delicious, fit the restaurant theme, were seasonal (spring is especially hard), showcased my talents, and minimized the odds that I'd be asked to do something I wasn't confident about.

Now that you know what the project was, I can tell you about my restaurant. It is a restaurant located in a high-end, mid-town hotel, that serves "comfort food for the discerning diner." In other words, classy twists of classic comfort food. As it turns out it's harder to come up with a balanced menu (not too much of one type of item--like cake--or one flavor--like chocolate) that fits the bill and is seasonal for spring.

The chefs ordered the Guinness Chocolate Cake with Creme Fraiche Ice Cream, Creme Fraiche Cream, and Guinness Chocolate Sauce; and the Brie, Chocolate, and Basil Panini on Sourdough with an Orange Basil Salad and Orange Philadelphia-style Ice Cream. I'm really happy they chose these, even if it does mean I have to lug my (well technically my mom's) cast iron grill pan and panini press top with me to class.

Update: you can read about the food I made for the menu project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment