Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pain Perdu


Our menu project is coming up. I'll explain the project in more detail later, but for now suffice it to say that we have to design a restaurant/bakery, write a menu with at least eight desserts, and prepare two dishes from the menu (chosen by the chefs). Since we have to be able to produce any two dishes we need to, at least in theory, be able to make everything on the menu before we hand it to the chef for him to "order" from. Yikes. I thought it would be a good idea to test out some of the desserts that I was putting on the menu. I knew I wanted a pain perdu--the French name for French toast--on the menu, so I figured I'd practice making it. There are a couple of recipes and techniques I like, so I combined a few to make my own and gave it a shot. Luckily I had slightly stale homemade brioche from fry day. For the menu, I plan on serving the pain perdu with summer fruits or berries but all I had at home was apples, so I sauteed them in butter until they just started to get soft, then added some vanilla sugar to the pan so they got nice and caramelized. I topped the pain perdu with the apples and some good quality, real maple syrup. Since this happened to be breakfast, rather than dessert, I served somewhat larger portions than I will do for the menu. It was great! If the chef orders this, I'll have to try it again with the correct fruit, blackberry sorbet, and a maple blackberry sauce. Ah well, the life of a culinary student can be hard but I suffer through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment