Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chocolate Chip Macaroons


My favorite food for Passover is coconut macaroons. They also happen to be one of my pop's favorite cookies for any time of year. Since Passover is coming up I thought I'd perfect my technique and appease Pop's sweet tooth.

I usually used shredded sweetened coconut for macaroons, but this time I used unsweetened coconut (which is drier and has a finer shred.) It's actually much easier to shape the macaroons because it's much smaller pieces of coconut and they are slightly less sweet (I upped bthe sugar significantly, but it's still less sweet) in a good way. For a little change, I mixed some finely chopped bittersweet chocolate into the "batter" of egg white, coconut, and sugar. It was very nice!

I should point out that coconut macaroons (as well as traditional French macarons) are actually gluten free, so for those who can't or don't eat gluten, these are a lovely cookie to make and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment