Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sophie's Mushroom Ragu


I have never used The Joy of Cooking and I don't think I've ever eaten anything someone else has made out of it. Until yesterday. And now I realize I've been missing out on something. This mushroom ragu--ragu or ragout refers to a main course stew, in case you were curious--was delicious! I'm not sure exactly what the recipe called for; Sophie--the same Sophie who recently made me that delicious lemon pasta with caviar--said she's changed it a bit over the years, but I assume she's captured the spirit of it since she did have the cookbook open to the very stained page with the recipe on it.



She made the stew with button mushrooms, portabella mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms (yum). The saucy base is primarily the liquid from cooking the mushrooms and butter (also yum) flavored with balsamic vinegar and parmesan (which she also grated on top). The browned mushrooms and caramelized onions float in the rich brown sauce. She served it over basmati rice but said she also has done it over pasta or cous cous. I'd imagine it'd be good on both, but I quite enjoyed it on the rice because it soaks up the sauce better than the pasta or cous cous would (or at least I think it does...perhaps I'll get her to make it again and I'll test the theory!)

No comments:

Post a Comment