Friday, January 20, 2012

Cakes 2 Exam


My second cakes exam didn't go quite as well as the first. The written midterm was scheduled to take twice as long as we were told it would take, so I didn't have as much time to work on the cake as I had expected (and I'd timed things out perfectly, so I ended up having to cut back on the number of flowers on the cake). Plus my genoise, which we had made the class before, came out badly (the chef said it wasn't great, but not too terrible either, so that's something). I have no idea what I did wrong--that's not entirely true, I think I overheated the bombe and then allowed the cake to deflate in the confusion over which oven I should be using--but it doesn't really matter. My buttercream was fine, not quite what I would have liked, but not bad by any means. The thing that redeemed the cake was the finishing. My fondant covering, according to the chef, was nearly perfect. My flowers were well made and (while he thought they were arranged slightly awkwardly, since I'd had to make fewer given the time constraints) were a pretty yet simple decoration for the cake. Overall, I'm very happy with how the final product looked but not thrilled with how it tasted. Personally I've always cared more about the taste than looks so this doesn't make me terribly happy. At least this exam was about the appearance more than the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment