Thursday, January 5, 2012

Petit Four Exam

From left to right: Petits Fours Glacée, Pâte de Fruits,
Lemon Cookies, and Chocolate-Mint Cookie Sandwiches.
As I mentioned earlier, I had to make pyramid petits fours glacée, pâte de fruits, and lemon cookies for my exam, plus my chocolate-mint cookie sandwiches. We had 4 hours to complete the exam, which was barely enough to finish. You see the problem is, every petit four I had to make has many steps, all of which need time between them. Also we only get one mixer per two people and much of what I had to make involved a mixer, but I often had to wait for my parter to finish using it. Overall, though, I'm really happy with the outcome. The pyramids came out well, which is great because I was worried about them. I flavored the buttercream for them with coffee, orange, and vanilla. It was wonderfully tasty (especially with the almond cake base and the chocolate glaze), but I feel that the colors didn't pop quite as much as I would have liked. The raspberry pâte de fruits came out incredibly well. The lemon cookies worked too (they'd have been a little better if I'd managed to pipe the cookies more evenly so that I could have paired them up faster, ah well.) My cookies (which I decided to make square shaped) came out pretty well, the ganache was delicious and the cookies were perfectly baked. My one problem is that they looked kind of boring. At least they tasted great! The chef didn't go over the final products with us, but I feel pretty good about what I handed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment