Friday, January 6, 2012

Buche de Noel


We made a traditional buche de noel with meringue mushrooms (aren't they adorable?!) today. Too bad Christmas is over. We used a very nice white cake that we soaked with orange liqueur. We covered it with chocolate buttercream, rolled it up, cut the ends off (and stuck one on top with a thin straw for support) and piped more buttercream on the outside of the log (with a star tip to get a wood effect.) The chef made the mushroom stems and tops, but we got to assemble them.

Honestly I think that this was slightly too sweet; as I've mentioned I'm not a huge fan of the buttercream we make at school. But overall, it was very good, if only because I've always wanted to make a roulade but have been too nervous to try it. Now I realize how stupid it was of me to be scared to make one (and mess it up, wasting cake and time), they aren't hard at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment