Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blueberry Muffins with White Chocolate Chunks


Remember the plum muffins I made a while ago? All the fruity muffins I've made since haven't managed to live up to those. They were pretty much the perfect muffin. But I love plums (and strawberries, a variation I made) and I don't like blueberries. Sophie loves blueberries and had some left from a batch that were so gorgeous I enjoyed them when they were baked in pancakes, so I figured I'd use them up before they went bad. Of course buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup are good enough to make up for blueberries--would the muffins be enough? My answer is an emphatic yes!




I modified the basic batter recipe, adapting the flavors to work with the blueberries by removing the nutmeg and adding white chocolate to the batter. As I was putting the blueberries in the center (great trick to keep the berries from sinking to the bottom by the way--just fill the muffin tin half way, add the berries/fruit/etc, then cover with the rest of the batter) I decided they needed more white chocolate. I figured I could add a square of chocolate in the center of the muffin, along with the blueberries. I was right! For the topping I used the cinnamon sugar (a bit light on the cinnamon) from the recipe, but next time (if there is a next time) I think I'll just use plain sugar.

I assume I'm not alone in eating the bottom of muffins first and saving the muffin top for last? Well I actually ate these from the outside in rather than bottom to top--the white chocolate center was just that good! I didn't even mind the blueberries! In fact, I'd have to say that these are the best blueberry muffins I've made (and I've made a lot...remember the Great Blueberry Muffin Showdown of 2010?)

No comments:

Post a Comment