Monday, December 16, 2013

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies


I had left over cookie dough from the chocolate wafer cookie crust I made for my Mississippi mud pie, so I sliced it to bake off. But plain, crisp, chocolate cookies, while very nice, don't thrill me on their own. So I asked myself, "self, what could kick these up a notch?" (I love Emeril!) Since it's the holiday season I figured peppermint would do the trick. I happen to have a jar peppermint "snow" (basically crushed candy canes but with out and of the resulting powder or giant chunks), which I mixed with some plain and some red sanding sugars, to make a topping for the cookies. I make the mixture since the peppermint snow would melt a bit during the cooking process but the sanding sugars would stay nice and sparkly.


I used a star cookie cutter and sprinkled the topping inside the cutter to make an approximately star shaped decoration...between the generally accurate sprinkling and the scoring from the cutter, I think that came across rather well (though it possibly could have been better). I think they came out looking quite festive and they tasted as good as they looked--the not-too-sweet, cocoa-y cookie with the minty topping was just supberb! A quick and fun holiday cookie that I'd certainly give away if they don't all get eaten by my mom and pops while I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment