Sunday, July 17, 2011

Restaurant Week at Le Caprice

Eton Mess at Le Caprice
I love restaurant week! It's a great way to try out nice restaurants without spending a bundle.  I always do lunch, since at $24.07 (plus tax and tip) if you don't do drinks it's a great buy. So my mom and I tried out Le Caprice.  Well I tried it, my mom's already been there and loved it!

The meal was superb! But that's not what I want to talk about...I want to talk about the dessert, which was absolutely amazing! There were two choices on the menu so my mom got one and I got the other. Hers was a blueberry and peach pie.  It was actually a mini pie rather than a slice of a larger one. Now pie might not be the right word, it was a wonderful slightly cakey thing where the fruit was baked into a sort of light, nutty, cake-like tart/pie.  Whatever it was, it was excellent (and I don't even like blueberries). It was served with a very nice vanilla ice cream on top.


I had the Eton Mess. I usually like Eton Mess, but it doesn't thrill me. This thrilled me! It was made with fresh, not-too-sweet whipped cream; a perfect berry sauce; fresh strawberries; and perfect, crisp meringues.  Plus there was one piece of what I'd guess was a homemade strawberry jelly candy. I'm not entirely sure what it was doing there (as far as I know it's not a part of traditional Eton Mess) but it was really nice, so I'm not complaining.

Look at the lovely meringues on top. There was a bunch broken up in it too.
After we finished the desserts, they brought us a plate of lovely chocolate truffle logs. You see, my mom had mentioned that we were celebrating a number of different things including my graduation and acceptance to the FCI (because she was very proud and telling everyone), so they ended up doing that for me as a congrats gift!  I was stuffed, but that didn't stop me from eating them! They were wonderful dark chocolate ganache truffles coated in a thin shell of dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment