Monday, July 4, 2011

Apple Pie with Crumble Crust


What's more all-American than Apple Pie?! So, I figured it was perfect for July Fourth and fireworks watching. I found this pie in Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. It isn't the traditional double crust apple pie, instead it's made with an almond crumble crust and topping. It's excellent!  I love almond and apple together, and I absolutely love crumble toppings so this was great. Plus, I wasn't really in the mood to deal with proper pie crust dough. Well, it was really good...the crust, the almonds, the apples, the cinnamon, it just worked so well!

The crust/crumble is made with ground almonds, so I used almond flour which I picked up at the grocery store. Basically almond flour is finely ground almonds. So why don't I make my own? Well, I haven't worked out how to yet, every time I try to grind almonds in my food processor I end up with almond paste, which is good, but not right. I know that's because of the oils in the nut, but I don't know how to work around it.  Maybe I can't in my home kitchen, or maybe I just haven't learnt how to yet, I'll let you know if I ever work it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment