Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strawberry, White Chocolate, Pistachio Scones


These were delicious. I used a basic scone recipe and snazzed it up with white chocolate and pistachios. But I decided that, as much as I like the combination of pistachios and white chocolate, it wasn't quite flavorful enough. I happened to have some delicious dried strawberries, so I chopped them up and tossed them in. The tangyness of the dried berries complemented the sweet white chocolate and the nutty goodness of the pistachios perfectly.

I topped the scones with a simple milk glaze that I flavored (and colored) with freeze dried strawberries. These are different than the dried berries I put in the scones. Dried strawberries are like dried apricots or dried grapes (i.e. raisins), whole, still moist and somewhat brown. Freeze dried strawberries are thin slices of dehydrated strawberries that retain all of the color but none of the moisture. (You know the kinds of granola that come with bits of berries in it? That's freeze dried berries.) Freeze dried strawberries are crumbly and, as such, I was able to powder them up and mix the powder, along with the small pieces of berry, into the milk glaze. That's what gave the glaze such a lovely color!

No comments:

Post a Comment