Sunday, March 22, 2015

Asian Cuisine


Have I mentioned that from time to time at work I teach cooking classes? Well I do! And I'm meant to be doing some Asian cooking (using premade sauces, thank goodness--I can make a soufle that doesn't fall, but don't ask me to make a curry sauce from scratch!)

I was tasked with making Pad Thai. I love Pad Thai, so I was pleased with this assignment. That said, I'd never made it before, even with a lovely tamarind, lime, and fish sauce based Pad Thai sauce already prepared. So I decided to practice at home. I'm glad I did.

I seasoned a wok for the first time. (It's just like seasoning any other pan.) Then I went about cooking the mushrooms, peppers, and noodles. I did the veggies in the wok, while boiling the rice noodles in a regular pot. Then I dumped the drained, cooked noodles into the wok with the Pad Thai sauce and the veggies. I served it with fresh bean sprouts, cilantro, roasted peanuts, a bit of fresh grated ginger, lime zest, and a wedge of lime. Yum!

I forgot to take a photo of the finished product, but here's a photo of a dish prepared almost the way, but with Thai peanut sauce and hot sauce instead of pad Thai sauce and some snow pea pods instead of the ginger and lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment