Sunday, August 21, 2011

Practice Apple Tart

The color is a little funny on the photo, it wasn't quite as yellow in person.
On Friday we made apple compote and pâte sucrée for our apple tarts, but we didn't actually make the tart. I wanted to practice making compote and slicing apples. Plus I wanted to try making pâte brisée, which we are going to make on Monday. So I made an apple tart with the pâte brisée. The apple compote came out a little overcooked (it still tasted great, it was just on the mushy side) and there wasn't really enough for the whole tart. I don't know if that's just because I used a 9-in tart pan rather than an 8-in, but it did say there should be enough for either. Ah well, it still tasted good.

The pâte brisée came out great, I think. In any case, it tasted really good and didn't shrink away from the sides.

The apple slices on top weren't perfectly even, but I assume that comes with practice. They didn't caramelize like they should have. I don't know if that's because my oven isn't the most even of if I should have done the optional sugar on top before I baked it. It still looked nice though, and the taste of the whole thing was great! I'm really happy with how well this came out! I can't wait for class to make the official one.

No comments:

Post a Comment