Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tarte Alsacienne


This is yet another apple tart...but this one is quite different. Firstly, we cooked the apples first. To do this, we cut them in wedges sauteed them in some butter and, once they were browned nicely, flambeed them in calvados. Flambe-ing is a bit scary the first time, but really cool! As the chef said, it's fancy pyrotechnics. Then we put them in a blind baked tart shell and poured a simple uncooked custard over them. We baked that until the custard was set, and voilĂ !

That really sounds much easier than it was. It wasn't the most difficult thing we've made, but it certainly wasn't easy. I suppose leaving out the rolling, docking, lining, and blind baking of the tart shell (not to mention making the dough) and the process for making the custard is what made this seem so much simpler. I digress.

This wasn't my favorite tart. It was really quite nice. The apples were wonderful and the crust was excellent. My problem was with the custard. It tasted really good, but I'm not sure about the texture. It was a little jiggly for my liking (but those of you who know me will know that I'm weird with textures.) Anyway, with the amount of tarts we are making in this unit, I can afford to be picky!

No comments:

Post a Comment