Saturday, August 20, 2011

My first Pastry Arts class at the French Culinary Institute

I just finished my first class! It was amazing!

They gave us our tool kits. They are chock full of every tool we could need, and most of them are really impressive quality, brand name, etc. For example they gave us a giant silpat and good knives. But then they gave us the worst vegetable peeler ever. That's alright though, I'll get a new one when I go and buy the one piece of equipment we have to have that they don't give us: an electronic scale. 

We learnt all about working in a professional kitchen and tons about procedures in the school kitchens. 

We also made pâte sucrée, a sweet tart/cookie dough that we'll roll out next class. We rolled out already made pâte sucrée to make apple tarts, but didn't have time to actually make them, we'll do that next class too. We learnt how to use a knife properly and diced apples to make an apple compote for the tart. The chefs actually made the compote, but they did teach us how to do it.

They also served us dinner, as they will every night. The dinner is made by the culinary arts students. It was really good, though apparently it isn't always...it's made by students, after all.

I'm exhausted, but I can't wait for the next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment