Sunday, January 12, 2014

Salted Almond, Chocolate Chip Cookies


There's nothing more relaxing than making (and subsequently eating) chocolate chip cookies. I've made all sorts of chocolate chip cookies but I've never tried salted ones. I decided it was time. I based these off of Tate's bakery's "chubby Tate's” chewy chocolate chip cookies. Their recipe uses corn syrup to make the cookies nice and chewy. I then added chopped, blanched almonds and sea salt in addition to the dark chocolate chips.

I like these cookies but the flavor wasn't quite as deep as it is in other recipes. I think it's because much of the sweetness comes from the corn syrup which doesn't have as rich a flavor as, say, molasses (which lends chewiness to the Roland Mesnier chocolate chip cookies I am fond of.) But it does make a nicer texture. I think I'll fiddle with the amount of syrup and sugars and see if I can't fix the flavor, because the texture is just about perfection!

By the way, the dark chocolate, almonds, and sea salt were delicious and, in spite of my insistence that the flavor wasn't quite right, the cookies were excellent! They were chewy with lots of chunks of chocolate and almonds. The sharpness of the sea salt in contrast with the sweet dough and the bitter dark chocolate was just right. These will definitely give me sustenance as I head once more unto the breach! (Sorry about that, I know that's terribly overdramatic, but I'm about to start my last term of taugh classes--yikes--and I saw Henry V last night. By the way, Jude Law is a brilliant Shakespearean actor!)

No comments:

Post a Comment