Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Cookies for Passover


The thing about baking for Passover is that it makes you think a bit more about what you are baking. But past thinking a bit harder when you choose your recipes, it doesn't really change things. Okay, yes, no flour unless it's matzo meal, but how hard is that? It's rather like keeping gluten-free (assuming you aren't using matzo meal). In fact the coconut macaroons and the chocolate walnut cookies are staples of my year round gluten-free repertoire. The third cookie, a nutty and floral macaron, will definitely be added to that repertoire--but more on it in a minute.


First, the chocolate walnut cookie. I've made it before but it definitely came out better this year. The trick to these cookies is being very gentle when mixing together the cocoa powder, the powdered sugar, the toasted walnuts, and the egg whites. As it turns out I was not as careful in the past as I should have been and over mixed the batter. Not that they don't come out nicely but they are a bit dryer and a bit puffy. When you do them properly they come out like ultra thin, nutty brownies. Yum!


There isn't much that I haven't said about coconut macaroons over the years. But I'll give you a recap in case you need it. Coconut macaroons are flourless (and therefore gluten free). They are traditionally for Passover but they are excellent any time of year. I make them with unsweetened desiccated coconut, sugar, vanilla, and egg whites; but I've seen them made with sweetened shredded coconut, with different flavorings, with more sugar or less sugar, etc. They are quite versatile.

Finally the newest macaron. The recipe, based loosely on a French macaron, comes via Nigella Feast with a few changes. In this case they are primarily ground walnuts and quinoa flour held together with sugar and egg white. Each individual macaron is scooped and then rolled by hand. The trick is to coat your hands lightly with rose water before rolling the macarons--this keeps the dough from sticking to your hands and gives the cookies a slightly rosy flavor without being soapy. These sweet, dense cookies have a strong nutty and slightly floral flavor that is enhanced by the quinoa flour (my addition--I have it lying around for a cake I'm planning to make). A great addition to my Passover cookie plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment