Sunday, June 22, 2014

Chocolate and Pear Tart


My friend, Katy, had me over for dinner ages ago and made me this delicious chocolate pear tart from Martha Stewart. Turns out I have the recipe and, since it is gluten free, I figured I'd make it for the cousins. As when Katy made it, it was a hit!


Basically it's a gluten free, frangipane-like base made of ground almonds and cocoa (and butter, etc) topped with thinly sliced fresh pears. The base gets nice and light and engulfs the edges of the pears a bit as it bakes. After it cooled I glazed the top with thinned, apricot jam. (Martha says to glaze only the pears, but I got carried away--I think it looks nice though.)


It reminds me of the chocolate and pear cake from Nigella Express that I've made before. This is, of course, a much more elegant version. Served with freshly whipped cream, I think it's perfect for an dessert after a nice meal. Or for a more casual version, I took some cues from that Nigella recipe. I used canned pear halves and a square pan to make an informal (and easier) version. It worked well, but I still like the fancy version more and Nigella's easy version is slightly easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment