Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Chocolate Peanut Butter Birthday Cake


My mom made me my birthday cake as she always does. This year it was chocolate cake--Thomas Keller's recipe. It was good. Very moist and chocolatey but not too heavy and dense. 


Since it wasn't terribly heavy, I loaded it up with peanut butter filling and peanut butter frosting. The filling was basically creamy peanut butter whipped with butter and powdered sugar. I used a thin layer since it was very dense and quite rich. The frosting was a flour and milk based recipe from one of the Baked books. It didn't work quite right--I think I undercooked it because it was too loose. But with a bit extra butter and powdered sugar it thickened up alright.


Topped with toasted, salted peanuts and milk chocolate shavings, the cake was superb! It wasn't too heavy but it was still richly flavorful. And fun! (On a side note, how cute are those cup and plate/saucer sets?!)





No comments:

Post a Comment